Norms and quality
Through product development, both in its own studio and by renowned designers, Karcher Design always offers innovative design coupled with functionality and unique fastening technology. Through the cooperation of design and development, patentable and technically high-quality solutions are created. Strict specifications as well as in-house monitoring of DIN/EN1906 for original test devices by PFB Rosenheim guarantee continuous high quality.
New products are designed directly in the company and produced as models using 3D printers, for example. In this way, order work and customer requests can be implemented quickly and without detours.
DIN EN 1906
This European standard determines demands and testing procedures for handle sets and security handle sets with regard to their strength, security, corrosion resistance, break-in security and overall durability. The Standard classifies the levers in the following 8 application categories:
1. Category of Utilisation
The "Category of Utilisation" is devided into 4 classes which indicate both the intended frequency of use and resistance to abuse. In accordance with these categories, the requirements are classified as follows:
Two durability classes are determined:
- Class 6: medium actuation frequency: 100 000 test cycles
- Class 7: high actuation frequency: 200 000 test cycles
3. Door mass
There is no exact definiton according to EN 1906.
4. Fire resistance
- Class 0: no fire resistance
- Class A: suitable for installation on smoke protection doors
- Class A1: suitable for installation on smoke protection doors, with 200 000 test cycles proofed on one test door
- Class B: suitable for installation on fire and smoke protection doors
- Class B1: suitable for installation on fire and smoke protection doors, with 200 000 test cycles proofed on one test door
- Class C: suitable for installation on fire and smoke protection doors with requirements on fire prevention inserts in the plate, door rose and key rose
- Class C1: suitable for installation on fire and smoke protection doors with requirements on fire pre vention inserts in the plate, door rose and key rose, with 200 000 test cycles proofed on one test door
- Class D: suitable for installation on fire and smoke protection doors with an additional requirement for a special handle core in the door handle/knob
- Klasse D1: suitable for installation on fire and smoke protection doors with an additional requirement for a special handle core in the door handle/knob.
5. Safety of people
According to EN 1906 the test for the safety of people is optional.This test is suggested for sets that are installed, for example, on fall prone doors, e.g. in stairwells.
- Classs 0: normal usage
- Class 1: security application
6. Corrosion resistance
Six classes of corrosion resistance are determined according to EN 1906:
7. Burglas resistance
Five classes of buglar - resistance are determined:
- Class 0: no performance defined
- Class 1: minimal burglar - resistance
- Class 2: medium burglar - resistance
- Class 3: high burglar - resistance
- Class 4: extremly burglar - resistance
- A: with spring support
- B: with spring preload
- U: without spring preload
DIN EN 179
This standard classifies the requirements for construction, suitability of use and testing procedure for emergency exit devices with levers or pull plates on doors in emergency escape areas. This ensures that all persons can leave the building safely during evacuation. The emergency exit devices always consist of a door handle fitting and lock. Both handle and lock must be tested and certified as a unit and be provided with a CE-conformity mark. KARCHER DESIGN levers have been certified with BKS-locks. These tests are repeated periodically every 6 months.
The standard DIN 18273 applies to door handle sets which are used in conjunction with fire and smoke doors. The standard defines if the materials and the constructive assembly of the handle sets is done in such a way that the fire/smoke resistance of the door is not disturbed by frequent use. The KARCHERDESIGN door levers are randomly checked according to well definded guidelines. These random checks are conducted annually by MPA Dortmund. All KARCHER-DESIGN stainless steel handles are suitable for use in DIN 18273 certified handle sets.
The German national standard DIN 18257 regulates the dimensional requirements, testing and marking of the Security fittings. Security fittings of this standard are intended to protect locking mechanisms of locks and profile cylinders against mechanical manipulation. Security fittings according to this standard are divided into four resistance classes (ES0 to ES3) with regard to burglar resistance, from which the user can choose according to their security requirements. The comparability of classes according to DIN 18257 and DIN EN 1906 is shown in the following table.